The last week or so, I've been reading the gospels. It's so refreshing and comforting to read things that Jesus really said. I really find a lot of comfort in his words. The way he lived and taught is really just so far from what many mainstream christians act out today. I honestly find it shocking that so many christians live in a such a way that is totally the opposite of what Jesus taught us. I find it most sad that I, too, have fallen into the trap of being christian from the comfort of my own surroundings.
I know there are extremists all over the map. There are those who take the Bible and basically hit it over peoples' heads, as if that makes anyone want to find out more about God. Of course there are those who take it to the other extreme too. The ones who simply pick and choose and act as christian as they feel like for the day.
In the last week, I've really gotten to thinking about what Jesus really teaches us, and how he wants us to live. The christians I admire most are those who truly live like Jesus in the closest sense they can find. Some of the examples I can think of are showing kindness to all people and showing everyone dignity and respect. It's not about showing off how christian you are or how well you know your Bible verses. It's about living in such a way that shows people what being a christian is all about. Doing is a hundred times more effective than saying. So, if you are out in the world with people, doing what God has asked us to do, then I truly look up to you as a christian.
I cringe when I see people smugly casting off others from inside their homes. It makes me sad, and it makes me confused. It makes me realize that I do the same thing. I know that these are good-hearted people, and yet their idea of what it means to be a christian seems off. Shouldn't you help the people who need the most help? Jesus said that the healthy do not need a doctor, but the sick. That strikes a chord with me, and really helps define my picture of a christian.
Go help the sick today. The thieves, the prostitutes, the drunks. The sinners just like us.
No comments:
Post a Comment