Ohio's winter weather is something of a glue that holds us all together though. The complaining, the slipping and sliding, the ice scraping and driveway shoveling--it all brings us closer. We feel as sense of being in this together. In the winter, I notice a sense of community that goes to the wayside during the warmer months. Something about December through March takes us back to simpler times. Neighbors help each other. Families spend more time together. Electric lines down mean more quality time spent with those right in front of you, not the people you can find when surfing the internet.
I find myself complaining about the weather as a means to strike up conversation. Sure, a five minute discussion on how thick the ice on our windshields were isn't much, but it's a start. If blizzards and lack of salt on the roads can start a meaningful relationship, then I say, why not?
While, admittedly, I am yearning for the long summer days, I cannot completely disregard what winter brings us. Perhaps, if we can squeeze enough conversation out of the snowfall and slush, come July we can enjoy each other's company again, poolside.
By the way, I try to blog often. I really do. My efforts are fleeting, however. Between work, school, and photography, blogging often gets put off to the side. I am trying my best to write more on this blog. If I am MIA for a few weeks though, don't be surprised. Sometimes, I just don't have much to say.
I'm in Michigan, so I can relate to the snow thing. I wouldn't complain so much, but the whole idea of "if I try to drive anywhere, I will probably die" thing starts to get to me =p
ReplyDelete-Whitney
I'm jealous of people with winter, the lack of winter in Florida must be why no one wants to help anyone down here.
ReplyDelete