Thursday, December 1, 2011

I am a spoiled brat. Really.

 I live in a nice apartment with amenities and water. I eat every day and sleep in a warm bed. Moreover, I have a great education from two excellent universities. I have access to the internet at any given time and have two computers and a cell phone. I know how to read (and that in and of itself opens so many doors) and can find almost any information I need by scouring my resources. My family is stable and loving. I have a boyfriend who loves me and treats me very well. I have lots of clothes and shoes to wear, as well as furniture and blankets. My biggest worries revolve around moving and finishing my master's degree. I have an amazing camera and am able to photograph anything I want, with the freedom to post it online for any of my fellow Americans to view freely. I live in an amazing, free country in which I can have as many children as I please (or have none at all) and practice any religion I choose. I decide what I want to do with my life.

As a woman, I am also lucky to live in a place where being a woman is not seen as a limitation. I am able to get an education and pursue a career. I can be a doctor, mother, teacher, graphic designer, athlete, dentist...anything. I can get married, but that is my choice. Who I marry is my choice, and my personal business. How I choose to live my life is based upon what I want. There is no limit set on my posiblities. That is a beautiful thing.

Sometimes it takes photographs and articles, or even personal stories to remember how many people are out there who are less fortunate than ourselves. There are so many. Children are literally starving to death, while I decide what restaurant I'd like to eat at. People are bathing in the river, while I leisurely shower for 15 minutes with no concerns. While I complain that there is not a great candidate for presidency, I should be glad that I even have a choice. There are thousands of women in the world who are silent. They have no voice and continue to live under the harsh rules set by men who never have to obey them. I have lived such a privileged life in comparison to people throughout the country and world.

I am so thankful for everything I have, everything I've been given, and the life I lead.

No comments:

Post a Comment